Asthma, known as shwas rog in ayurveda, is a common chronic inflammatory disease that affects the airways that carries air to and from lungs. In this disease, inside walls of patient are swollen that are responsible for irritation and inflammation in lung. According to an estimate, more than 300 million people are affected by asthma worldwide and it kills approx 255000 people every year all over the world. Though people of all ages suffer from asthma, it most often starts in childhood. It is an incurable disease. However, good treatment and proper precautions are effective enough to keep the inhaler away from asthmatics.
Though basic cause of asthma is unknown till date, it is thought to be caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors. The common symptoms of asthma are coughing; chest tightness as inflammation makes the airways narrower; shortness in breath and wheezing (making whistle sound while breathing).
Asthmatics have allergies that trigger antibodies in the blood often leading to inflammation in airways. To avoid allergy, asthmatics should take some precautions such as avoid smoking and going outside when it is extremely cold or hot. Tobacco smoking is linked to a higher risk of asthma and an equivalent risk of death due to asthma or Shwas rog. Environmental factors such as pollution caused by sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, and ozone are responsible for increased incidences of asthma attacks. Cold temperature and high humidity are also dangerous for asthmatics and a big cause of this disease in some individuals. Moreover, people who undergo stress have higher asthma rate.
Asthma (shwas rog) is incurable. Allopathic and ayurvedic treatments are available that prevent asthma attacks or provide relief during severe attacks. Since allopathic medicines have certain side effects, it is better to take to ayurvedic remedies as it is quite cheap besides being free from side effects. Asthmatic patient must consume:
- Mixture of one table spoon of water and two table spoon of lemon juice twice a day
- Ten clove of garlic boiled with 30 ml of milk once in a day
- Mixture of one spoon of honey with one spoon of bay leaf powder
- 2/3 glass of carrot juice and 1/3 glass of spinach juice thrice a day
- During severe attack patient should take medicines such as Swaasakassa Chintaamanee Rasa, Swasaa Kuthaara Rasa etc.
- Warm til oil can also be applied on chest and back during severe attack.
Dietary discipline is also mandatory for asthma patient along with ayurvedic treatment. Patient should avoid:
- Having foods such as rice, curd, butter milk, sugar, lentils, and milk products like cheese.
- Avoid having fruits such as guava, papaya, water melon and banana.
- Overeating and should have light dinner one hour before going to sleep.
Asthmatic patient will stop the use of inhaler only if they believe in and apply ayurvedic treatment by following the instructions mentioned above.